When Elsie Gale's Mother Died
Alton Foster & my kids
July 12, 1978

A hard decision... The Jap's bombed Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 and so our boys were called to go into training.  Gary was 6 months old.

We were living on Williams Air Force Base for several years and Alton was now drafted to enter the service.  He thought the best thing to do since my mother was in the hospital and we didn't want to be left alone was for the kids and I to go to San Diego and live with his mother.  He would try and get into the Navy.

My brother, Victor was working at Sacaton, Arizona in a government job as book keeper and office work.  He didn't get in every week-end to see mother.

What a hard decision to make!  Go leave my sick mother, we knew she didn't have long to live.  She not only had a heart condition but she developed Dropsy too and filled up with water.  I went in one day and took our baby Ricky (6 months old) and she played with his little fat fingers.  

We had a deadline to meet with Uncle Sam so I had to go on and get settled so Alton could find out what they were going to do with him.  He was finally put in the Army with the 1st Engineers Training Battalion on April 12, 1945.
I received a telegram of my mothers passing, her sister Minnie was with her to the end.  She said my father had come to the window several times and she was ready to go.  She felt bad that she didn't get to see our sister Cora but she was living in Florida and couldn't get away.
My sister Melva and Robert were living in Los Angeles, California at that time, so we made the trip together for my mothers funeral.  There in the Mesa Cemetery she was laid to rest by my father.  (See her memorial at Find A Grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Gale&GSfn=Elsie&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1945&GSdyrel=in&GSst=5&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=34047280&df=all&) She was a wonderful mother so kind and sweet.  I have many dreams of her, some warnings and others comforting.
Alton was to leave the next month and I enrolled Gary in Nursery School so he was only four years old and could go to Nursery School until Grandma got off work.  She would pick him up and we would be together in the evenings and Sundays.  I shared expenses of the rent and utilities, but didn't have much on a serviceman's pay.
  Alton was sent to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri for training and then because of having fire fighting training at Williams Air Force Base in Arizona he was spared from going overseas.

Editors note:  These were the last words Elsie (Mom) ever wrote in her Personal Journal.  She became ill with a lymph gland on her brain and later with cancer of the lung.  On August 24, 1982 she died in Payson, Arizona and was buried in Mesa Cemetery along with her many relatives and her Mom and Dad.

Return to Elsie Gale's Personal History